POSITION TITLE: Communications Specialist
ORGANIZATIONAL DESCRIPTION: Southern Scholarship Foundation (SSF) is a nonprofit 501(c)3 which helps deserving young people who lack financial resources, but demonstrate excellent academic merit and good character, attend institutions of higher education through rent-free cooperative living. SSF operates 27 scholarship houses throughout Tallahassee, Gainesville, and Ft. Myers Florida serving 470 residents annually. The position is based in Tallahassee, Florida.
POSITION SUMMARY: Reporting to the Director of Student Affairs for North Florida, s/he will support the communication activities of Student Affairs and Development Departments, as well as organization-wide communications. The ideal candidate is a social native, trained communicator and metrics enthusiast who is proactive, consistent, and persistent in all they do! S/he wants to be a part of a fun, fast-paced, interactive atmosphere, is passionate about communications and social media and brings to the table an amazing attitude and personality. This position is responsible for coordinating a consistent voice for all aspects of the organization’s online presence, managing the growth, brand, and producing content for the company’s social and digital media sites. S/he will assist in the development and implementation of SSF’s strategies and tactics to inform the media, general public, and related stakeholders of SSF’s initiatives and events. The individual will maintain site standards and functionality, while supplementing other departments with event planning, coordination and execution. The individual will focus effort on applicant recruitment and fundraising efforts.
POSITION SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS:
- Associate's degree in Communications, Media, PR or related field and at least three years of social media marketing and website design; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Excellent organizational and management skills, including a demonstrated ability to efficiently plan, organize and manage projects with limited direct supervision.
- Mature, detail-oriented, able to work well under deadlines and work independently, collaboratively and with a team, solving problems in a resourceful manner.
- Experience promoting online material and generating traffic through website and social media. Proven ability to maximize opportunities and engagements through Applications, Facebook, YouTube, LinkedIn, Twitter, Instagram, and various social media outlets.
- Experience with web traffic metrics in Google Analytics.
- Experience in website design/content management and technical skills, including familiarity with HTML5, WordPress, and Photoshop. Joomla experience preferred.
- Must be a team player with a strong work ethic and must lead by example with high regard to professionalism, integrity, and working with a sense of urgency.
- Strong written, oral and interpersonal communication skills.
- Flexibility to adapt to changing priorities and needs of the organization.
- Excellent knowledge of MS Office and Adobe Reader required, familiarity with BlackBaud eTapestry is a plus.
- Experience originating, leading, planning, budgeting, and executing events preferred.
- Impeccable attention to detail and follow up.
- Spanish or Haitian Creole language skills a plus.
RESPONSIBILITIES include, but are not limited to, the following duties:
- Coordinate with the SSF team in the creation and implementation of quarterly digital marketing plans, including but not limited to relevant online communications, social media, southernscholarship.org, videos, blogs, webinars, SSF Alumni directory, and emerging digital formats.
- Ensure all online and multimedia plans are researched, planned and executed, both as stand-alone activities and as part of larger strategies.
- Maintain SSF brand standards and style guidelines across all communication platforms.
- Collaborate with team leaders across the organization to develop and implement initiatives that support team priorities and goals.
- Design and create monthly eNewsletter and assist with flyers and/or handouts for Foundation events, meetings, fundraisers, etc.
- Independently compose original, style-specific content for Student Affairs and Development.
- Document foundation events and activities (via photographs, videos, etc)
- Stay current in emerging website/online trends and marketing techniques, recommend improvements, and understand how to apply best practices to SSF.
- Format and coordinate digital media campaigns including eNewsletters and eBlasts.
- Coordinate specific Students Affairs program(s) at direction of supervisor.
- Represent SSF at events to recruit qualified applicants.
- Works with Student Affairs on resident recruiting and marketing campaign strategy and implementation.
- Develops recruitment materials and helps select promotional items for various recruitment activities.
- Attend Community and/or Foundation events/meetings when required.
- Engage in professional/business networking activities to further enhance the Foundation’s community presence.
- Cross training in front desk responsibilities.
- Arrange/assist colleagues in foundation special events/activities (planning, preparation, execution, etc).
- Contribute to general office duties.
- Manage volunteers and interns as needed.
- Occasional evenings and weekends will be required.
- Occasional overnight travel will be required, approximately 5% of time.
- Perform other duties and functions as assigned.
EVALUATION: Job performance will be evaluated based upon the above expectations and additional specific goals as identified by the President/CEO of the Foundation and direct supervisor.
SALARY RANGE: Commensurate for position and industry